Sunday 8 June 2014

Minor jobs and new wheels.

More progress! (no major jobs, but progress is progress!)

Received my results for my last semester at university. Given the tyres (although legal) are in a pretty shoddy condition, I did a burnout. Because I can.

IMG_1634

Even the monkey got covered in rubber.

IMG_1638-Edit

Right, down to business. Enough messing about. Set about removing the traction control throttle body, luckily BMW offer an intake boot for cars without the additional throttle body.

Part number: 13 54 1 703 588

 148. ASC delete

The issue (as nearly always it seems) is the weather. After getting all the parts ready, the heavens decided to open. Not a big deal however, drive the nose of the car into the garage, partly close the door and add a floodlight. Result!

IMG_1687

This job was as simple as removing and refitting. Nice and simple.

Before:

IMG_1688

During:

IMG_1690

IMG_1692

And after:

149. No more ASC.

Like a glove! With the added bonus of being a little tidier than before. I've left the ASC throttle body actuator plugged in with the wire removed. Saves needing to fuss around with the right resistor and worrying about blowing it.

Next on the list was trying to route more air into the airbox. The main issue currently is one of the clips from the airbox to the maf sensor is broken, there isn't an air leak, but I would like to get it replaced at some point.

Whilst removing the airbox I did manage to snap a baffle, so some flashing tape made for a temporary repair. On the replacement box, this may be something I consider, obviously sealing it with better tape. I think it may reduce internal air turbulence, probably won't affect power but would make for an easier job to wrap the box in heat resistant tape to reduce heat soak.

IMG_6669

For those who have the misfortune of following me on Twitter; you'll know I had some issues with my Z4 wheels (style 108's) corroding. Considering it happened  within such a short space of time...long story later, Sytner refurbished all 4.

My track car has 4 shoddy tyres and wheels in awful condition. I have a clean set of refurbished wheels with decent tyres sitting in the guest bathroom. I put two and two together and this happened.

IMG_6680

First things first, I know it's sky high. That's not a big deal for now. However, the car did appear to desperately need a change of coolant.

Rather than potentially screw up fresh coolant, I opted to do a run with just plain water and make sure I know what I'm doing.

IMG_6673

Turns out it was pretty easy to do. Drain plug at the bottom of the radiator, two hoses off and remove the rear drain plug. Hook a hose up and flush the system.

Next on the list was to tackle to noisy power steering. Checked the reservoir and it was on the empty side. Drained what fluid there was and refilled.

IMG_6675

And the last small job that was left, fit a new cabin filter as the old one was grubby.

IMG_6682

Oh and one more thing, I refitted the door cards. It was becoming too much of a hassle to keep rolling the window down when I wanted to close the door and it wasn't so sightly having the weather guard on display.

151. Door cards are back

No comments:

Post a Comment