Tuesday 28 January 2014

2. Interior clean.

Today the main aim was to get the car as clean as possible. After tackling the rear seats over the weekend, it certainly seems that the car had had some neglect in that department. As with the rear bench, it was a simple case of some Meg's APC (all purpose cleaner) and a brush to lift the dirt with a towel to wipe it all clean.

I guess I should let the pictures do the talking. Just a word to the wise, though the results are not entirely perfect, the seats are clean enough now to consider putting them up for sale.

I somehow managed to do the whole drivers side without even realising I didn't have a memory card in my camera, but realised before starting on the passenger side.

IMG_0884-Edit

Next came the door card itself. Rather than just a before and after (I've taken plenty of those now) here is a 'in progress' shot. You can see that the suds are an off white, due to the presence of the dirt that has been lifted from the material.

IMG_0880

Another problem I faced was a small leak in the rear. I'm probably assuming this was down to the multitude of holes drilled in the number plate area and when I washed the car, water managed to get into the car.

Had a few ideas how I'd have anticipated getting rid of the water that had condensed on the rear glass and settled on a heater (as there wasn't that much water and it was better than leaving the ignition on)

IMG_0873

And this pretty much sums up the work done today. Had the vacuum cleaner out as well to rid the interior of debris and relocated the C pillar lights into the boot area. (Though the picture below was taken prior to the work above!

IMG_0875

Lastly, knowing the reputation of e36's for overheating, I started looking into a way to manually override the auxiliary fan. Turns out that some people have turned it into a complex job, but it was as simple as just jumping two wires.

28/365 Aux Fan Override

All that is left now is to get a replacement interior (if one comes up), and perform a full service on the car (oil change, oil filter, air filter, new discs and pads as well as new coolant) before getting the car taxed and mot'd.

I guess the easy bit has been done, now comes the real work!

No comments:

Post a Comment